Veteran Atlanta Improper Signage and Road Design Flaw Injury Lawyers
The Atlanta law firm of Watkins, Lourie, Roll & Chance, PC, represents individuals and families who have suffered losses in accidents caused by design flaws or negligent maintenance of a street, road or highway.
Common Types of Highway Defects
- Road shoulder drop-off — If a driver should happen to leave the roadway and attempt to get back on, a large drop-off from the roadway to the shoulder can cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle. In the worst-case scenario, the driver crosses the center line and runs into oncoming traffic.
- Water pooling — Water pooling may be caused by defective highway design or by nearby construction activity that causes water to drain onto the road. Water pooling leads to hydroplaning of the vehicle's tires, which causes the driver to lose control.
Other causes of accidents — Other examples of highway defect or poorly maintained roads include:
- Uneven pavement
- Failure to install guardrails
- Objects left on the roadway
- Visual obstructions
- Improper signage
- Broken "train crossing" signals
- Improper slopes and grades that allow water to pool
- Insufficient tapering of merging lanes on entrance and exit ramps
- Construction debris left on the road
- Storm water runoff
- Untrimmed foliage hiding signs and signals
- Construction zone accidents involving work vehicles improperly entering and exiting work sites
How Is It Determined Whether a Highway Defect Was Normal Wear or a Hazard?
An investigation will be needed to determine the cause of your accident. We work with experts in several fields to probe every possible cause of these accidents, helping us uncover hazards and defects that may otherwise go unnoticed.
Normal roadway wear can create hazards. When those hazards are not corrected, they can pose dangers. If you have been injured and believe that a defective, unmaintained, or poorly designed road played a role, we are here to look into your claim and help you determine how best to move forward.
Which Highway Defects Usually Cause the Most Accidents?
Highway defects that can lead to accidents include:
- Uneven Pavement
- Shoulder Drop-Offs
- Inadequate Warning Signs
- Lack of Safety Features (Guard Rails, Jersey Barriers, etc.)
Improperly marked construction zones and debris on the road also pose a threat to drivers.
Is There Still a Case if the Victim’s Vehicle Was Partially the Cause of an Accident?
Vehicle defects can lead to accidents. Dangerous roadways can lead to accidents. When these factors combine, risks for serious injury increase.
An auto manufacturer, parts supplier, or mechanic may share liability if a vehicle malfunction plays a role in your accident. Likewise, if a hazardous roadway plays a role, the company or government entity responsible for making it safe may share liability. Talking to one of our experienced attorneys is an excellent way to understand your rights and options.
How Long Does It Usually Take To Come to an Official Decision?
Most personal injury claims settle within a year. However, some may take two or more, depending on their complexity.
The lawyers at Watkins, Lourie, Roll & Chance have decades of experience helping victims of serious injury get the compensation they deserve. We will build your case for any eventuality and are prepared to stand by your side until your claim is resolved.
How Much Are People Usually Awarded if They Win This Type of Case?
Each case is unique. There is not an average settlement amount for highway defect claims. However, there is no cap on damages in the state of Georgia. We will fight for every penny you are due.
Our attorneys are here to carefully assess your claim, review your medical records, evaluate your future employment options, and listen to your personal experiences of pain and suffering. Then, we can seek compensation for all of your damages, taking your case as far as needed to help secure the best possible results.
Did Dangerous Road Conditions Cause Your Accident? Here's What You Should Know.
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that was caused by the condition of the road, the most important thing you can do is to hire a lawyer immediately. We know from experience that Department of Traffic (DOT) crews are quickly dispatched to the scene of fatal accidents. If evidence of the defect or lack of maintenance is not preserved through photographs, the road will be fixed and you will lose the evidence you need to prove your case.
- "When we approached this agency, we were lost and heartbroken and really didn’t know which way to turn. Enter Rob Roll. From the moment we first spoke to Rob, he took us by the hand and walked us through the process. I would very highly recommend this agency and Rob Roll specifically. I’m very grateful for him" - M.D.
- "A dedicated, passionate, talented and super smart team of attorneys & paralegals. Wonderful office staff as well! We would 100% use them again if we needed and would highly recommend them to others. Great people!" - J.W.
- "Great Attorneys who truly care about the people they are representing. I would definately recommend this law firm if you are in need of some truly caring, professional and understanding attorneys. We can never thank them enough." - P.H.
Contact Us — Free Consultations
Have you been injured on any of the following Georgia highways? US 129, GA 44, I-75, I-20, I-520 or I-95. Take up the fight. Contact a highway defect liability lawyer at Watkins, Lourie, Roll & Chance, PC. We represent clients throughout Georgia including Atlanta, Savannah, Columbus, Augusta as well as Chattanooga, TN.
Find out about successful cases we have handled.