According to the Journal of Patient Safety, a publication that is “dedicated to presenting research advances and field applications in every area of patient safety,” the leading types of medical malpractice in the United States are:
- Failure to Diagnose. This may include various types of cancer, meningitis, and other conditions that can prove deadly if not diagnosed quickly
- Surgical Errors. From incorrect surgical site to leaving instruments in the body, surgical errors injure and kill thousands yearly
- Failure to Treat. Whether from misdiagnosis, inattention, or any other factor, when a doctor fails to provide treatment, serious complications can follow
- Birth Injuries. These include cerebral palsy, shoulder dystocia, or any other injury a baby may incur during labor or delivery. Helping families dealing with birth injury is one of our firm's primary focuses
- Medication Errors. Overmedication, under-medication, administering the wrong type or dosage, and similar prescription drug errors pose a serious threat to many patients
According to Johns Hopkins University, there are around 250,000 deaths caused by medical malpractice every year. Just behind heart disease and cancer, medical malpractice is the third leading cause of death in the United States.
Have You Been Injured?
Hundreds of thousands of people are injured or killed through medical malpractice in the United States every year, but very few victims ever see justice. The medical industry enjoys several legal protections and attorneys working for the defense know how to make negligence look normal.
Some of the attorneys at Watkins, Lourie, Roll & Chance have worked for medical malpractice defense firms. We know exactly how they operate. We are uniquely equipped to fight back.
You need a law firm on your side that has the resources necessary to prove malpractice and the ferocity needed to help you win your case. The attorneys at Watkins, Lourie, Roll & Chance welcome an opportunity to meet with you free of charge, listen to your story, and help you determine the best course forward.
Our firm has the medical malpractice experience necessary to help you successfully navigate these complex claims. Please call Watkins, Lourie, Roll & Chance at 404-760-7400 to schedule a complimentary case review today. We have two Atlanta locations. We serve all Georgia communities.