Injury and accident lawsuits may take just a few short months to settle, but most take around a year. In complex cases, it may take two to three years to come to a verdict.
A majority of personal injury claims are settled out of court. Those that go to trial take longer and are often delayed by full court dockets. It is important for the success of a case that it be prepared for trial even if the case is likely to be settled in mediation.
How Long Does it Take to Settle Personal Injury Cases?
The type of case you are involved in will play a role in how long it takes to reach resolution. Some averages include:
- Nursing Home Abuse & Negligence: 18 to 24 months
- Car and Truck Accidents: Six to 18 months
- Medical Malpractice: Six to 12 months
- Wrongful Death: Six months to four years
Workplace injuries that are dealt with through workers’ compensation should be settled within two to three weeks, but those that result in a trial due to third-party involvement or other factors may take several months to settle.
A Personal Injury Timeline
While it is impossible to predict how long a case will take to settle, there is a simple timeline that most of these cases follow:
- The initial consultation to discuss your options and review your case. If your case is viable;
- An investigation into your accident and review of your medical records will be conducted by your attorney and any experts she or he hires. Based on these findings;
- Your attorney will send a demand for payment. If the demand is denied;
- Your attorney will file a lawsuit
The Discovery Phase
After you suit has been filed, the discovery phase will begin. During this time, both your attorney and the defense’s attorneys will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and collect what they need to build their respective cases.
Following discovery, the court will order mediation to attempt a settlement. If no settlement can be reached, a trial date will be set and your claim will go before a jury. While this seldom happens, we prepare every case for this eventuality to ensure our clients receive the most effective representation.
If you need a personal injury lawyer in the Atlanta area, please call Watkins, Lourie, Roll & Chance at 404-760-7400 to schedule a free consultation today.